Translate

Thursday, November 17, 2011

MELANCHOLIA 11/17/11


Saw a film that so far is the BEST FILM I have seen in a long time - Melancholia by Lars von Trier. I rarely see a movie that is as beautifully structured - form and content are equally vital and visually gorgeous. The images sometimes felt like a speeded up Robert Wilson performance. Then add Wagner's music from Tristan and Isolde and it is breathtaking - bringing me to some deep place inside. Lars von Trier uses images from paintings, a surreal glowing light in this metaphorical tale of the planet Melancholia hurtling toward earth and final destruction - conflated with the deep dark empty void of nothingness that is depression. Great performances by Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg, sisters who are very different from one another. I do not want to reveal too much but I actually got physically nauseous watching the movie, perhaps from the hand-held camera work and the existential apprehension that I felt viewing it.

Here is a taste of film Melancholia from the Prologue. Music by Wagner. The effect on me is inexpressible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWQ2YZG8kcA&feature=related"

No comments:

Post a Comment